Old Courthouse
A Confluence Attraction

(314) 655-1600

Participating Confluence Organization
National Park Service

8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day


111 N. 4th St. in downtown St. Louis

(By car) Two blocks west of the Gateway Arch, on 4th Street between Chestnut and Market Streets

History and Features
For more than 150 years, the Old Courthouse has been one of St. Louis' most prominent historical and architectural landmarks. Thirteen courtrooms, used from 1845 to 1930, were the scene of some of America's most famous trials. Dred Scott, a slave, pleaded with the court to grant him his freedom at this site. Also here, Virginia Minor demanded the right to vote for women in the 1870s.

The Old Courthouse, with its iron-framed dome and ornate interior, is an architectural jewel. Exhibits trace the history of the City of St. Louis from its founding as a French colonial outpost to the present day. Special events and programs are also held throughout the year.

For more information about the Old Courthouse, see

For more information about nearby recreation opportunities, see